Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's important to set goals...

I've been reading lately from the website NerdFitness.com. They have some interesting information over there. One thing they push for is to eat according to the Paleo Diet. Now, I don't agree with the premise of this diet in that it is evolutionary in nature, and I have not personally experimented with the prescribed meal plans, but it sounds interesting and I am going to give it at least somewhat of a try. The key point they make with which I am in absolute agreement is that you shouldn't be eating processed foods. It's hard not to, as they are everywhere, but with some diligent searching and planning, even growing some of your own foods, it can be done.

Another thing that is stressed at NerdFitness is not coming to exercise or fitness with vague goals like, "I want to be healthy" or "I want to increase my level of fitness." Instead, set specific goals like, "I want to bench press 200 pounds" or "I want to maintain my body fat at less than 15%." Being accountable to at least one other person will help keep you on track with your goals, and making things interesting can be a huge inspiration (one success story tells of the person making a $500 bet that he could reach his goal).

I don't necessarily agree with the NerdFitness stance that programs like Power 90, P90X, Insanity, etc., are necessarily junk. I recognize that there is a bunch of marketing involved with these and other programs, especially when it comes to pushing various supplements. Frankly, I don't see a huge difference between the BeachBody company (which produces the programs mentioned above) and NerdFitness. BB endorses supplements, NF doesn't, but both encourage regular workouts and a drastic change in diet for most of America. There is more free information at NF (the BB site is, as far as I've seen, mostly an advertisement for their various DVDs, equipment, and supplements), but if you want the "full program" from NF, you're still going to shell out at least $40.

Okay, enough of my rambling. Feel free to check out the sites I've mentioned and come to your own conclusions.

I feel incredible after completing my workout for tonight. Some of the exercises seemed especially easy, so it looks like I'll for sure be upping the weight on Friday. I even got started today. I increased the weight for Open Arm Curls and Bicep 21's from 12.5 to 15 pounds. I should be able to do the same for the Military Press, Swimmer's Press, and Lawnmower exercises for sure. It's definitely encouraging to see that change coming!

On another note, I will be finishing my stint on the overnight shift in 4 weeks, and I am very much looking forward to that. The last couple of days have been fairly warm, especially considering that it snowed on May 4th. I've been doing my exercises in the evening after I wake up, and my room is pretty stuffy by then, even with the A/C running all day. Once I get back to working the evening shift, I'll be working out in the morning after I get up, and if I've been able to leave the window open all night, it should be a nice temperature for exercising.

And now, I need some food. Happy Wednesday to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment