Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Closing in on the end of the week...

Finished my strength training session a little bit ago, and man, do I feel great! I know I've said it before, but it's amazing just how much better I feel after a workout, no matter how much I didn't want to do it in the first place. I was still sore from my workout last night, especially from the ab routine, and it would have been pretty easy for me to just skip tonight's exercises.

Once again, it feels great to see continued progress happening. I upped the weight from 10 pounds to 20 pounds on the standard bicep curls, and to 12.5 pounds for the open arm curls and the bicep 21's (the 21's are a three-part exercise; the first 7 reps you start with your arms straight and only curl up halfway; the second 7 reps you start in the middle of the curl movement and curl up to your shoulders; the third 7 reps are full curls).

There is also a push-up segment called 7-7-7 in the third circuit. For this you do 7 wide push-ups (hands about 9 inches wider than your shoulders), then 7 with your hands pretty much right below your shoulders, and finally 7 standard push-ups. The narrow push-ups are supposed to be done with your elbows staying in tight to your body, which is pretty difficult for me, likely from weak triceps. However, I modified the move tonight by keeping my feet wide (first time it occurred to me to do it this way; the modification they show in the video is resting on your knees rather than your toes).

Before I started my exercises tonight, I weighed myself, just out of curiosity. I wasn't all that surprised to see I was only down about a pound from a few weeks ago. The biggest factor for that is my diet. I've been reading in several places that cleaning up your diet will take care of 90% of your weight issues, and frankly I'm not so terribly disciplined just yet to keep track of that as I probably should. Being on an off-shift schedule makes it tough to do all that. In just under six weeks I will return to my evening shift, which will make it easier because my wife and I will be on the same eating schedule again, and then I can track for both of us.

Of course, weight isn't the only measure of success when it comes to fitness. I'm pretty sure I'm adding some muscle to my frame, and it'll probably take a while longer before my body figures out just what is going on and things balance out more. Depending on fat loss and muscle gain, I would be pleased with weighing anywhere from 185-210.

Well, I should clean up so I'm ready to eat when my wife has supper on the table. Keep up your own fitness regimen!

No comments:

Post a Comment