Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

A delayed start...but we're off!

Last night after work I finally made it to the employee fitness center and hopped on the treadmill. It was nice enough I could have run outside, but I don't have a great location to do that after midnight, unfortunately. Getting out to run in the morning before it gets too warm and I have to go to work would probably be ideal as I didn't get home until about 1:30 this morning, but I'm not totally sure if that will work out. There's going to be some trial and error as I get back into the swing of things, that's for sure. It's amazing how much having a child can make scheduling tasks difficult!

I'm going to get started on the C25K program on Monday since I went ahead and signed up to run a 5K in November (details HERE if you are in or want to travel to the Des Moines area and participate). Last night I walked three 5-minute intervals at 3.0 mph and jogged two 5-minute intervals at 5.0 mph. I felt really good during the jogs, so I'm pretty sure I can start out at Week 2 or 3 of C25K and be fine. That would also give me extra time between finishing the program and running the race to do some longer runs and speed intervals. A 5.0 mph pace seems more than reasonable to me, so my goal for this first race is to hit 35 minutes. That might be ambitious, but hey, having something to shoot for is what makes it fun.

Tonight I will be heading straight home from work to go through an as-yet-undecided strength training routine. I might just do Power 90, or I might do a circuit I found at Nerd Fitness. Either way, I want and need to do something besides just running to improve my overall health, lose weight, decrease my body fat percentage, and be stronger.

The important thing is that I'm back at it, and will do my best to get in at least 5, if not 6, workouts a week. My goal is to give an update at least every other session, if not after every workout. Feel free to get on my case if nothing shows up for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment