Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Starting another week!

Happy Labor Day to you all! Many of you likely have the day off today, and especially if you've been good all week, I encourage you to splurge a little and have a treat. We did that yesterday in my family. The first Sunday of the month our church has a potluck after the morning service, followed by an afternoon service (rather than one in the evening). It would have been difficult to track calories there, so I limited myself to one plateful and a cupcake for dessert. Then, because I drive by Hardee's every day for work and I've been seeing their latest special advertised on the sign (a Buffalo Blue Cheese Thickburger), we ended up having supper from there. I know the burger was around 800 calories and loaded with fat, and the half of a small order of fries was over 150 calories, but it was very tasty. Once in a while isn't a huge thing, and I definitely haven't lost my taste for less-than-healthy food yet!

Surprisingly, I weighed myself this morning and I was down 1.2 pounds from Friday, putting me at a total of 6 pounds lost since August 22nd. I'm not sure how much longer the rapid weight loss will last. Last summer I lost a good deal of weight over about four months, but all I was doing was running and counting calories. With strength training thrown into the mix, I could possibly sustain this quick loss for a few more weeks. I'm going to be careful to not starve myself for the sake of seeing the numbers drop, though it is exciting to see some good initial progress. My wife even told me this morning that I looked a bit trimmer already, and I noticed my dress pants fit better yesterday than they did even last week.

As I write this (at 1 PM), it is 75 degrees here in Des Moines, with a predicted high of 80. We turned off the A/C yesterday afternoon and it was a wonderful temperature in the spare room with a fan in the window blowing in as I exercised. Tomorrow is supposed to be 85, then the prediction is for low- to mid-90s through next Monday. I was kinda hoping the highs would stay around 85, but oh well. The plan is to get to one of the local parks and do my running outside this week, which I have permission to leave my family behind if I need to get going before they can in the mornings.

I opted to stay with the 15-pound dumbbells today, and I think I'll do the same on Wednesday, saving any weight increases for Friday so I have the weekend to recover. I've found that on a three-times-a-week schedule for whatever routine I'm doing, using the third day as my "Push-it" day is usually the best option.

Tomorrow's running workout looks incredibly easy after my run from Saturday, and I'm excited to see what a difference running outside will make. This coming Saturday will be the real comparison, so stay tuned!

Have a blessed day, and I'll see you again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment