Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Friday and Saturday post all rolled into one...

I got going a bit later than normal yesterday and ran out of time to put up a post before going to work. Then, while I was at work, I had time and forgot to do it. Oh well. Here I am, making up for what I'm sure was a depressing no-post day for you.

As I mentioned on Wednesday, I increased the weight for some of my exercises yesterday. I was able to go through the routine much more smoothly than I expected with this change, so I'm guessing after using the same weights next week it will be time to make some further increases. I'm really enjoying the feeling of already being stronger and able to do more.

Because today's high was predicted to be almost 100 degrees, I chose to run at work after my shift last night. Right now, at 11 AM, it's only 85, so I could have run at the park. However, I had no way of knowing what the temp would be at a specific time, so I'm glad I got my run in at all. The highs are supposed to be in the upper 90s for the first half of next week, so I think I will run at work Monday and Wednesday nights and try to hit the park Friday morning (currently with a high of 77!).

I ran 2.77 miles in 32 minutes last night, which is a pace of 11:33. Coupled with my half-mile pre-stretch warm-up walk, I logged a total of 3.27 miles in 40 minutes, 8 seconds.

Next week is Week 7 of the C25K program. Every week from now on will consist of three identical workouts with the overall running time increased each week. Week 7 is a 25-minute run with 5-minute walks on both ends. The extra three minutes of running should get me very close to 3.1 miles, and if I'm not hitting that distance in a single workout next week, the weeks after I should be surpassing it. It's hard to believe that I only have three weeks left of the program, even with having skipped the first two weeks. And that November race keeps getting closer!

A friend of mine wants to run at least a 10K and maybe a half-marathon with me next year, and I've been wondering what I will do in preparation. Increasing muscle mass and decreasing fat mass is a goal of mine, and I think I've come up with a plan for the winter months. There is a promotion opportunity coming up at work that would put me on the day shift. I think this would be extremely beneficial for working out as I could do something right after work every day, then have supper and at least a couple of hours of pure family time. I'll want to keep running during the winter, so the treadmill is going to be important when it's too cold and/or snowy to be outdoors. I think I will expand my strength training routine on my non-running days and use the strength training workouts from P90X. Doubling my weight lifting time should be of significant aid in burning body fat and dropping my overall weight, which should make it easier to run for longer distances. Things could always change as the need arises, but it feels good to have a plan in mind.

The weekend is upon us, and Abi and I are looking forward to having a quiet day at home. We've both dealt with colds this past week, though hers hit a lot harder and has lasted longer than mine. In any case, it feels good to not have anything we need to rush around and do (August was a very busy month in this respect). Enjoy your own weekend, and I'll see you back here on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment