Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The weekend is here!

After my first full week of working the evening shift, the weekend has finally arrived! With my current schedule, I get home around 12:30 AM and am generally in bed and close to being asleep between 1 and 1:15. Last night was no exception, especially since I'd been up extra early yesterday to make breakfast for my friend who was visiting. Abi and I were both tired, and we didn't bother setting an alarm. As such, it was after 10 when we woke up, and it felt amazing to be fully rested again!


Spiritual health is even more important than physical health, so I spent some time reading the Bible this morning before heading to the gym (that's part of my normal routine anyway, but I'd neglected to mention it so far on this blog). Abi went with me again, and we had a great time. I ended up on the treadmill for 35 minutes, covering a distance of 2.35 miles. I took two 5-minute intervals to jog, which felt great, especially after two days of little movement. The first five minutes I kept it at an even 5 mph pace. The second time around, I fluctuated between 5 and 6 mph.


A running program I've used in the past is the Couch to 5K program at www.c25k.com. It's a great program designed to take you from couch potato to running a 5K in only 9 weeks. I've done it twice outside in the last three years, but I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to heat and hills, so I'm thinking to get going on this program using the treadmill. It's a program to be run 3 times a week, which will likely be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for me, with occasional changes if my schedule requires it. The days in between I might still hit the gym for some walking or biking, or I might get started on the Power 90 strength training program from www.beachbody.com. I can attest that the quickest way to change your body composition is a combination of cardio, strength training, and diet, and I'm feeling well enough lately that I think I could handle the strength training, especially if I start slow and am very careful about how I move.


Have you moved today?

No comments:

Post a Comment