Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sweet, sweet exercise

Yesterday I signed up at Planet Fitness, one of several gyms in the area. I'll freely admit, I picked it because it offers the cheapest rate. The plan I signed up for is $19.99/month with an annual fee of $39.99. The reason I picked this plan over their still-cheaper plan of $10.00/month and annual fee of $29.99 is because I can bring one guest with me every time I go. Abi might not go with me all of the time, but it's nice to have the option available. Also, if company comes to visit and they want to get some exercise in while they're here, I've got them covered.


Today, then, I went for the first time. For now, I'm only planning on using the treadmill, maybe the elliptical and/or bike. I realize that strength training is an important part of overall fitness, but my main goal is simply to reintroduce myself to being active. I hit the treadmill today for 30 minutes, and according to the display I walked/jogged for a total of 2 miles. I know that those displays aren't necessarily all that accurate, but I like them so I can at least gauge time-to-time how I'm doing.


A tip for those of you looking to get into exercising: listen to your body. The feedback you get from exercising will be a big clue that you're doing too much or not enough. And, if you can, it's great to exercise with a friend because you will likely be pushed to dig a little deeper. Also, there's no shame in starting slow. Nothing has been more discouraging in my own fitness endeavors than having what I think is a really good workout only to be unable to move for the next three or four days because I overdid it. Strength and endurance comes with time, but you'd be surprised how quickly it comes if you pace yourself.


Happy fitnessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment