Welcome

Follow me on my journey to lose weight and get healthy.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Challenges...

It's been a trying year as my last post indicated. I spent all of January and part of February off of work because of my herniated disc (things got a lot worse than I had anticipated at the time of my last post), and my return to work was not a smooth transition. There were several nights where I hurt so much that I wondered how I was going to make the drive home. But God was good to me, and I survived every trip.

From a medical standpoint, I really turned the corner when my GP prescribed a three-week course of Prednisone. I'm not surprised, since a steroid prescription two years ago is what seemed to help me get over the hump and on my way to healing.

I'm not, by any means, done with this issue. I have muscle weaknesses in my core that will leave me predisposed to future injury is I don't correct the problem. Thankfully the chiropractor I've been seeing the last few months also has a physical therapy mindset and has given me exercises to do to help move things in the right direction.

I have to say that I've been recognizing just how much of a blessing it is to be able to walk, and to do so essentially fully upright and pain-free. If I overdo things and start to get a little sore, it serves to remind me that I've come a long way since February. I definitely miss running and lifting weights, but I still don't trust my body to be able to handle those activities right now.

However, I am still planning to participate in the Med City Half-Marathon next Sunday morning. I'm going to walk instead of run, and it's going to take me a while to finish even if I don't have pain issues, but the last couple of days in particular I've felt well enough that I think I can make it through the whole course.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to be making a concentrated effort to maintain a complete food diary. One benefit to being laid up as I was was that I didn't have ready access to the junk food that is commonly available at work. I lost roughly 10 pounds that month because I was eating healthier foods and fewer of them since I had mobility issues. Now that I've been back to work for basically three months, I've put it all back on. It's my own fault, and it really disgusts me. It's like I don't have any self-control, and that's something that should never describe a Christian's life in any aspect.

Where do you face your struggles? What are your temptations? How have you found success, no matter how small, in your endeavors?

No comments:

Post a Comment